Consider or imagine you are presenting at a workshop meeting to your colleagues in an educational setting. It may be a school, nonprofit organization, church group, or other affiliation that is relevant to you. The goal of the presentation is to recommend strategies for creating a trauma-sensitive environment. Consider the following slides PowerPoint in your presentation:
- Introduce your presentation by explaining the trauma-informed approach and why it matters.
- Describe a safe and nurturing environment. (Week 1)
- Identify four (4) strategies for building relationships (two for teacher-student relationships and two for student-student relationships). (Week 2)
- Identify two strategies for teaching each of the five SEL competencies. (Weeks 2 & 3)
- Explain the meaning of empowered learners and identify strategies for empowerment. (Week 4)
- Clarify challenges to effective communication and identify two (2) tools educators can use to improve communication (one to improve their verbal or nonverbal communication with students, and one addressing curriculum). (Week 5)
- Identify three strategies for implementing restorative discipline and describe its significance. (Week 6)
- Describe three de-escalation steps or strategies. (Week 7)
- Close your presentation by connecting the strategies as a trauma-informed approach to education.