ANNOTATION OF A QUALITATIVE RESEARCH ARTICLE
Submit: Annotation of a Qualitative Research Article
This week, you will submit the annotation of a qualitative research article on a topic of your interest. Narrative, ethnographic, grounded theory, case study, and phenomenology are examples of types of research designs or approaches used in qualitative research.
An annotation consists of three separate paragraphs that cover three respective components: summary, analysis, and application. These three components convey the relevance and value of the source. As such, an annotation demonstrates your critical thinking about, and authority on, the source topic. This week’s annotation is a precursor to the annotated bibliography assignment due in Week 10.
An annotated bibliography is a document containing selected sources accompanied by a respective annotation of each source. In preparation for your own future research, an annotated bibliography provides a background for understanding a portion of the existing literature on a particular topic. It is also a useful first step in gathering sources in preparation for writing a subsequent literature review as part of a dissertation.
Please review the assignment instructions below and click on the underlined words for information about how to craft each component of an annotation.
Please use the document “Annotated Bibliography Template with Example” for additional guidance.
It is recommended that you use the grading rubric as a self-evaluation tool before submitting your assignment.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
- Use the Walden library database to search for a qualitativeLinks to an external site. research article from a peer-reviewedLinks to an external site. journal on a topic of your interest.
- Before you read the full article and begin your annotation, locate the methodology section in the article to be sure that the article describes a qualitative study. Confirm that one of the types of qualitative research designs or approaches, such as narrative, ethnographic, grounded theory, case study, or phenomenology, was used in the study.
- Annotate one qualitative research article from a peer-reviewed journal on a topic of your interest.
- Provide the reference list entryLinks to an external site. for this article in APA Style followed by a three-paragraph annotation that includes:
- Format your annotation in Times New Roman, 12-point font, double-spaced. A separate References list page is not needed for this assignment.
- Submit your annotation.
- Golafshani, N. (2003). Understanding reliability and validity in qualitative researchLinks to an external site.. The Qualitative Report, 8(4), 597–606. Retrieved from http://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol8/iss4/6
- Burkholder, G. J., Cox, K. A., Crawford, L. M., & Hitchcock, J. H. (Eds.). (2020). Research designs and methods: An applied guide for the scholar-practitioner. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapter 12, “Quality Considerations”
- Chapter 13, “Ethical Considerations”
- Smith, J. K. (1984). The problem of criteria for judging interpretive inquiry Download The problem of criteria for judging interpretive inquiry. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 6(4), 379–391.
The problem of criteria for judging interpretive inquiry by Smith, J. K. in Educational evaluation and policy analysis, 6(4), 379-391. Copyright 1984 by Sage Publications-Journals. Used with permission of Sage Publications-Journals via the Copyright Clearance Center.
- Document: Trustworthiness (PDF)Download Trustworthiness (PDF)
- Walden University Office of Research and Doctoral Services (2018). Research ethics & complianceLinks to an external site.: Documents and FAQs. Retrieved from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/orec/documents
Download the “Research Ethics Planning Worksheet”. Read this document to understand the ethical standards that researchers must address during the research planning process.
- Walden University Office of Research and Doctoral Services. (2015c). Research resources: Research planning & writingLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/resources/planning
Download the “Litmus Test” document.
- Walden University. (n.d.). Essential elements for writing annotated bibliographiesLinks to an external site.. Walden University Quick Answers. https://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/358634
- Walden University. (2015a). How do I find an article that reports on research that uses a specific methodologyLinks to an external site.? Retrieved from http://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/72633
- Walden University: Writing Center. (2015). Common Course Assignments: Annotated BibliographiesLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/assignments/annotatedbibliographies
- Document: Annotated Bibliography Template with Example (Word document) Download Annotated Bibliography Template with Example (Word document)